1.) In Hungary a decree by the competent Ministry regulates the transport by vehicles whose total weight, axle load and size exceed a set limit. It also sets the procedures for motorway management and regulations as well as the conditions for the payment of fees.
2.) In Hungary a vehicle is liable to procure a route permit if its weight or its any dimensions – including the load of the vehicle – exceed a certain limit specified in the regulations.
3.) The applications for a route permit should be submitted by completing the relevant form and sending it to the highway authority:
- competent for the headquarters (depot) of the operator of the vehicle.
- competent for the point of departure. The point of departure for vehicles entering Hungarian territory shall be the border crossing station.
The competent authority can make an agreement with the operator of the vehicle that the fee imposed for the overweight or the over-dimension of the vehicle may be covered by deferred payment. Moreover, an agreement on electronic route licensing and fee transfer can be made on certain conditions and the application form and the route permit may then be electronically transferred.
4.) The highway authority can refuse to issue the route permit in the following cases:
- If the gross weight, axle load or over-dimensioned nature of the vehicle can be broken down or transported by other size of vehicle.
- If the highway in its condition and carrying capacity – also taking into account any linear construction built under it or the area above and next to it – is not suitable for use by vehicles whose gross weight and axle load exceed the permitted limit.
The highway authority shall specify the route to be used by the vehicle and the transport conditions in the route permit.
5.) Vehicles with gross weight over 40 tonnes and with axle weight exceeding the permitted maximum are charged a road permit fee (overweight fee) for the use of highway, calculated on the official scale of charges and the distance the given vehicle will travel on the highway.
6.) An administration fee will be charged upon submission of the route permit application.
7.) The highway authority may require the vehicle to be escorted by the police or other vehicle specialized for that purpose prior to travel for reasons of road or traffic safety.
8. The route permit obtained does not grant exemption from the any payment of fee imposed. (e.g. motorway toll)
9.) The gross weight, axle load and dimensions of vehicles in international traffic are checked by the offices of Magyar Közút Nonprofit Zrt. at the border stations. In the event that a vehicle liable to a route permit has no valid route permit, the customs authority shall refuse permission for the vehicle to enter or leave Hungary.
10.) Vehicles travelling in Hungary are subject to spot-checks by mobile inspection groups of highway authority.
On the signal of the inspector, the driver of the vehicle
- is obliged to stop the vehicle;
- produce the documents on the vehicle and the freightage;
- permit the vehicle to be checked on the spot.